|Welcome to the Village of Millington, Michigan Website|
JODY DEAN MEMORIAL PARK FUNDRAISER
|JODY DEAN MEMORIAL PARK
Coming Spring 2023 - Depot & Center St.
Starting soon! Thank you to everyone who purchased a brick or bench to help us create this park for Jody. She would love this (after saying a few choice words about the attention!), but she would love the community space that it will create to bring people together.
It is with great sadness that we say goodbye to Jody Dean. Jody served on the Village Council,
Southern Links, Jr. Womens Club, Chamber of Commerce and many others. Jody served tirelessly to help others,
the businesses and the community. She will forever be in the hearts of all who got the privilege of knowing her.
|Hiring: Police Officer||
Congratulations to Officer Brian Cartner who was named Chief of Police at last nights council meeting.
The Village is now looking for a full-time officer for nights and weekends. Full health and retirement benefits. Click on the link for the application. More information can be found at MCOLES
Millington is a village in Tuscola County in the U.S. state of Michigan.
|Millington and the surrounding area is known as a "bedroom community" of both Saginaw, Michigan and Flint, Michigan. Primary employment is manufacturing related and agricultural. The community is long known for the manufacture of refrigerated truck bodies, automobile parts and general commerce. The Murphy Lake State Game Area is located some 4 miles east and northeast of Millington. Millington is served by a K-12 public school system (the Cardinals) and a K-8 Lutheran (St. Paul Lutheran) parochial school. Arbela Township, located west of Millington is closely associated and considered part of the Millington community. The area is served by the Millington/Arbela Fire Department.|
Millington Historical Timeline
In 1822, the government survey named the stream running through Millington, Millington Creek.
The first white settler in Millington was Edwin C. Brainerd on December 24, 1850.
The first Millington school was established in 1856.
Amos Wolverton became the first postmaster of Millington on June 29, 1857.
Lane and Wolfe built a saw mill in 1859.
The village was platted in 1860 and named Lanesville, formerly known as Podunk.
Around 1866, the village was once again called Millington, and in 1872 it was re-platted and officially named Millington by D.M. Blocher (the first village president), Samuel Atwood and Joel Beckwith. Millington was incorporated as a village in 1877.
First Village President was D.N. Blocher
The Village newspaper, the Millington Messenger, was established by Mr. Patterson. The name was changed later to the Millington Retina, Millington Gazette, Millington Herald and is now once again, the Millington Messenger.
In 1873, a railroad was constructed through the Village, providing coal, building materials and farm machinery. The coming of the railroad also provided exports such as grains, potatoes, livestock, lumber & pine shingles.
The following proclamation was made at the centennial of the village in August 1954:
|2004 – 150TH Anniversary Celebration “Where the Past & Present Meet”|